As the City of Mississauga prepares for the 2022 Budget and Business Plan, residents are invited to participate in the budget engagement process to provide feedback on priorities and key considerations. From September 13 to October 15, residents will learn how the budget process works, how tax dollars are used and the value tax dollars bring to Mississauga. The public input received will assist City Council with their discussions and deliberations.
“We are reaching out to our residents and businesses to get their input and feedback as we begin to shape the 2022 budget,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “This information is so important in helping us understand what is important and valued by residents. I encourage all to take the time to get to know the City’s budget process and provide feedback. We have many ways to participate to help ensure we have information from as many people as possible on the services and programs that impact our lives every day.”
“The budget process brings the City’s strategic plan to life by providing the necessary funds to move action plans forward while maintaining the City’s service levels. It allows us to focus on key goals and provides flexibility to manage the changing needs and expectations of Mississauga residents and businesses,” says Shari Lichterman, Commissioner of Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer. “We will continue to be open and transparent throughout our budget process – letting you know what and how we’re spending tax dollars.”
The budget shapes and directs how the City works. It funds more than 200 services that residents and businesses depend on every day. Key areas of focus for the 2022 budget:
- Public safety programs and initiatives like Vision Zero and Automated Speed Enforcement on City roads and education programs for fire safety
- Investing in green assets like protecting the City’s tree canopy
- Investing in public infrastructure like transit, road and bridge improvements
There will be a number of opportunities for the public to engage with and learn more about the City’s 2022 Budget and Business Plan. Here’s how to get involved:
- Watch the previous overview of the 2022 preliminary Budget and Business Plan, presented to the Budget Committee on Wednesday, April 28, 2021 and update on Monday, June 21, 2021
- Visit ca/budgetand see what you get for your tax dollars
- Attend or watch a Budget Committee meeting via live stream for the full 2022 proposed Budget and Business Plan (posted online in November). Visit the City’s Council and Committees Calendar for any updates that may occur)
- Sign up for a 2022 Budget Engagement Session
- Try out the budget allocator (coming soon)
- Email a question or comment to [email protected] or call 311
- Follow the City budget conversations and posts on Facebook and Twitter
For those interested in being informed or participating in upcoming budget engagement opportunities, visit mississauga.ca/budget.