The Government of Canada recognizes that a smooth economic recovery will require continued collaboration between the public and private sectors in the wake of the direct effects, changes and adaptations related to COVID-19. That is why we have convened a high-calibre panel of business leaders to share their direct perspectives on the scope of the challenges that Canadian industries face.
Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, announced the names of nine business leaders who will join Monique Leroux—a strong business leader with a distinguished career in Canadian finance—on the new and recently announced Industry Strategy Council. Dr. Mona Nemer, Canada’s Chief Science Advisor, joins as an ex-officio member to provide an important perspective on science and research. The Council provides a forum for the Government to hear from and collaborate with well-respected industry leaders to assess the scope and depth of COVID-19’s impact on industries and to understand specific sectoral pressures.
In addition to Monique Leroux and Dr. Mona Nemer, the Government has enlisted the following senior business leaders to be part of the Council, which will hold virtual meetings every two weeks over the next 90 days:
- Murad Al-Katib, President and Chief Executive Officer, AGT Food and Ingredients – Agri-food sector
- John Baker, M.S.C., President and Chief Executive Officer, D2L Corporation – Digital Industries sector
- Rhonda Barnet, President and Chief Operating Officer, AVIT Manufacturing – Advanced Manufacturing sector
- Paviter Binning, President, Wittington Investments, Limited – Retail sector
- Ben Cowan-Dewar, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Cabot Links – Tourism & Hospitality sector
- Karimah Es Sabar, Chief Executive Officer and Partner, Quark Venture – Health & Biosciences sector
- Karen Hamberg, Vice President of External Affairs and Sustainability, Westport Fuel Systems Inc. – Clean Technology sector
- Mark Little, President and Chief Executive Officer, Suncor Energy Inc. – Resources of the Future sector
- Sylvie Vachon, President and Chief Executive Officer, Montreal Port Authority – Transportation sector
Each member, including two returning Chairs of the Economic Strategy Tables, has insight into an industry that is of vital importance to Canada at this time.