Company has donated almost $500,000 in free travel to frontline workers under Road to Recovery Initiative
TORONTO, February 24, 2021 – It’s been a long battle against COVID-19 and 407 ETR is continuing to show its support for those on the front lines through its latest in-kind donation of $170,000 in free travel for fire departments, emergency medical services (EMS) and food bank workers along the highway. 407 ETR gift cards have been provided to organizations from Hamilton to Oshawa and will be distributed accordingly to staff and volunteers. The gift announced today is in addition to the $300,000 in-kind donation of free travel given to hospital workers across the GTA at the onset of the pandemic.
407 ETR’s in-kind donations are in addition to the $5.2 million donation under the Company’s Road to Recovery program.
“We’ve been grappling with COVID-19 for almost a year now and though it’s wearing on us all, our community heroes continue to show up every day to help others in need,” said 407 ETR President and CEO, Javier Tamargo. “We hope that this gesture of appreciation will lift their spirits and lighten their travel to and from work. After all, it’s important to support each other in any way we can during these challenging times.”
QUICK FACTS ABOUT 407 ETR’S ROAD TO RECOVERY INITIATIVE
- Since the onset of the pandemic, 407 ETR has gifted nearly $500,000 in free travel for frontline workers (this figure includes today’s announcement)
- 407 ETR committed $5.2 million in 2020 for COVID-19 relief through the support of healthcare and social services. This includes:
- $1.2 million donation made in 2020 to assist with the procurement of critical healthcare equipment and supplies. This donation was divided amongst 24 GTA hospitals
- $4 million in funding for United Way agencies in the GTA through a multi-year donation from 2020 to 2022 in support of food and income security, mental health and isolated seniors
- The Company froze per kilometre toll rates at February 2020 levels, suspending previously announced rate increases. 407 ETR also introduced the COVID-19 Repayment Assistance Program to assist qualifying individuals and businesses impacted by the pandemic
For more information about how 407 ETR is supporting its customers and the community, please see the attached backgrounder and visit 407etr.com/RoadtoRecovery.
Vice President, Communications and Government Relations
Phone: 905-264-5374 email: [email protected]