It’s ok to feel uneasy
Some Canadians may be experiencing feelings of uncertainty regarding their investments amidst the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting market volatility. We understand. Between evolving news coverage, new working
and living conditions and a turbulent economy to boot, it’s perfectly normal to feel unsettled right now.
Our brains are hard wired to feel anxious or nervous when we feel physical, emotional and financial stress. We’re also naturally hard wired for action. But not all action is good action. When it comes to your investments during COVID-19, it may be wise to
Stay the Course
It may feel like you should take action, but depending on your personal circumstances, it may not be the right course of action for you right now.
I’m staying the course… so what can I do?
Focus on what you can control.
Here are some considerations to help:
Put physical distance between you and the markets
- Put a daily limit on your investment news consumption. Your investments are likely not the ones you are seeing in the news
- Be an informed consumer of social media. Check the source. Stick with the facts.
- Consider the frequency you check your investments.
Put mental distance between you and the markets
- Reconnect with your vision and values.
- Revisit your goals and your plan – has anything changed?
Remember: your advisor designed an investment strategy that took into account rises and falls in the market
- Portfolios are designed to weather the storm over the long term in accordance with your risk tolerance
Have a conversation with your advisor
- If you haven’t already, speak with your advisor to help put your mind at ease. We are here to navigate these uncertain times together, and we’re ready to help.
The information contained herein has been provided by TD Wealth and is for information purposes only. The information has been drawn from sources believed to be reliable. The information does not
provide financial, legal, tax or investment advice. Particular investment, tax, or trading strategies should be evaluated relative to each individual’s objectives and risk tolerance. TD Wealth represents the
products and services offered by TD Waterhouse Canada Inc., TD Waterhouse Private Investment Counsel Inc., TD Wealth Private Banking (offered by The Toronto-Dominion Bank) and TD Wealth Private
Trust (offered by The Canada Trust Company). ®The TD logo and other trademarks are the property of The Toronto-Dominion Bank or its subsidiaries.