Document certification is necessary for embassies, foreign customs, bankers and freight forwarders/customs brokers.
Business-related documents that can be certified/commissioned by MBOT include:
- Certificates of origin for export shipments*
*Must be dated within 30 days from the date they are brought in to be signed.
- Invoices, Packing Lists, Bill of Lading, etc.
- Invitation Letters/Business Visa requests*
*Proof that the business is a registered business in Canada must be presented, (i.e. Business Registration, Certificate of Incorporation, Business Number, etc.) before the documents can be signed.
Exceptions: Mississauga Board of Trade will not certify or commission:
- Certificate of Origins that refer to a “Free Trade Agreement” (e.g. NAFTA)
- Government documents (eg. Passports, Birth Certificates)
- Personal documents (eg. Bank or School documents)
- Legal documents (eg. Wills, Power Of Attorneys)
- Be original. No faxes or photocopies are accepted.
- Be typed on a computer or typewriter. Handwritten documents will not be accepted.
- Be written in English. Documents written in another language will not be accepted.
- Have an original signature on them IN BLUE INK.
Important to note: all documents requiring certification by Mississauga Board of Trade must first be sworn to by a Commissioner of Oaths, a Notary Public or a Justice of the Peace.
For your convenience, a Commissioner of Oaths is available at the MBOT office. All documents requiring a Commissioner's stamp must be signed in front of our Commissioner of Oath. If this is not possible, the person bringing the documents in will be asked to sign/initial the documents again on your behalf.
NOTE: There are some documents that require a Notary Public's signature and cannot be signed by Mississauga Board of Trade's Commissioner of Oaths. These include: Wills, Power of Attorneys and other legal documents.
We encourage companies to contact us prior to coming to our office to ensure documents are acceptable. Mississauga Board of Trade reserves the right to refuse certifying of documents should they be deemed unacceptable.
Hours of Operation*:
|Monday - Friday||9 a.m. - 12 p.m.|
|2 p.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Summer Hours (May 17 - August 30)|
|Monday - Thursday||9 a.m to 12 p.m.|
|2 p.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Friday||9 a.m. - 12 p.m. ONLY|
*Hours of operation subject to change without notice. Please contact MBOT office at 905-273-6151 to confirm.
|Certification||Commissioner of Oaths||
Certifying & Commissioner of Oaths
|Member:||$8.00 per set||$17.00 per set||$25.00 per set|
|Non–member:||$13.00 per set||$22.00 per set||$35.00 per set|
All prices include 13% HST.
Mississauga Board of Trade accepts the following forms of payment:
Companies can also charge their certifying services on account and be invoiced once a month. To open an account, please contact Monika Rumin, Finance & Administration at 905-273-6151 ext. 25.
- Apply for Certificate of Origin over the Internet
- Your application is received instantly at MBOT
- MBOT reviews your application online
- On approval, you are notified via e-mail
- Print the certificate at your own desk - stamped and signed by MBOT!
- Option to request MBOT to print your certificate and return via courier
- In the event of problems with your application, you are notified online - you can make corrections in minutes and instantly return to MBOT for approval
Benefits of Online Certification
- Apply anywhere you can access the Internet
- Application transmitted instantly to MBOT
- Eliminate or reduce courier expense or trips to MBOT
- Secure technology - same as used for online banking
- The fastest way - by far - to obtain a Certificate of Origin
Why use Online Certification?
Increase productivity, reduce staff costs
Online certification provides exporters and forwarders with faster processing of documents, giving better service to customers at reduced costs. Agents using the system report significantly reduced times to make documents available with more efficient management of staff, especially at peak times for shipments.
The easy-to-use system automatically navigates users through a series of work-flowss required to make online Certificate of Origin applications. This "DIY" system means that your staff will require a minimal amount of training. As a result, staff productivity will be increased, administration and staff training costs will be reduced and the "human error" costs associated with handling applications manually will be removed through automation.
Take a look at the USER GUIDE to see how easy it is!
Our Chambers of Commerce-approved Certificate of Origin (COO) creation and certification service is the best way of getting accurate compliant export documents including all COOs; EUR1 (preferential duty), ATR (preferential duty for Turkey), EC (European Community) & Arab. The system rules also ensure AEO (Authorized Economic Operator) compliance so that you maintain the highest service levels for your customers.
How much does it cost?
Please refer to price list here. Think of how much you can save on courier fees, gas, and/or staff time by not having to get these documents signed in person!
How do I get started?
Easy! Complete a Letter of Waiver form, have it notarized by a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths (MBOT cannot notarize this document). Download a Letter of Waiver at www.tradecert.com/mississauga.
Once you've submitted your completed Letter of Waiver, we'll set you up as a user. If you have any questions about this service or its process, please contact Monika Rumin at 905-273-6151 ext. 25.